August 15, 2008

I love chess

I love chess. It helps me to keep my mind active. On the Internet Chess Club I have chess friends/competitors all over the world. And I have two wonderful chess teachers. But chess is so hard for me, and I am such a slow learner. When I was a math teacher at Kingwood High School I promoted chess by posting chess puzzles in the math hall, and for the students I made up this question and answer: 'Is it possible for something to be at the same time finite and infinite?' Answer: 'The boundaries of the chess board are clearly visible, but the possibilities seem endless.'

2 comments:

Chien Ming said...

teThank you for being my friend. I am proud to be your friend. You are certainly a true chess entusiast since your youth.

Last 2 sentences of "'Is it possible for something to be at the same time finite and infinite?' Answer: 'The boundaries of the chess board are clearly visible, but the possibilites seem endless." is very intersting & deep.

Chess is a game that take only days to learn how to play it, but a life time is not enough to master it. Even the very best player in the world still find the new mystery in an obvious position every day. This makes chess so exciting, otherwise it's solved & become boring game.

From Chien (icc : fhunfi)

ttellerx said...

The number of possibilities is not endless but it is a very large number (so it seems endless). See http://members.iinet.net.au/~ray/Chessgames.htm for an interesting discussion.